Resolving Issues About The House In A Divorce

Because of the memories and emotions tied to it, the marital home is often one of the most contentious sticking points in the property division process of a divorce.

With such a valuable asset at stake, the choice you make for an attorney matters. For more than 50 years, Plumides, Romano, Johnson & Cacheris, PC, has helped divorcing couples in the Charlotte area navigate through the most complex disputes. We can help you find a resolution that protects your interests and finances.

Call 704-323-7833 to discuss your specific situation.

Helping You Remain In Control Of The Process

For most divorces, it is better for you and your spouse to work together on a property division settlement that satisfies both of you. While neither you nor your spouse is likely to be happy with every aspect of the agreement, it is better to remain in control of the process. A judge who does not fully understand your situation could rule in a way that leaves neither of you happy.

Some common resolutions to control of the marital home include:

  • Selling the house and splitting the proceeds
  • One spouse buying out the other's share of the home to continue living in it
  • Continuing to split the payments on the house if one spouse will continue living there so your children do not have to move

If you do not have a prenuptial agreement in place, we have a wide network of experts to call, including forensic accountants and appraisers. We can determine a fair value for the house and determine each couple's share of the home.

In the event you cannot reach agreement, we will be ready to assert your rights in court. Two of our partners are North Carolina board-certified family law specialists, an indication of their lengthy track records of success in these matters.

Get The Answers You Need

At Plumides, Romano, Johnson & Cacheris, PC, we are committed to helping you find a resolution that helps you move on with your life. To talk with one of our lawyers about your divorce, call our office today or complete the online form.