Plumides, Romano, Johnson & Cacheris, PC
Call for A Consultation

How to request a child support modification

Once the court calculates how much you owe in child support, you are expected to pay this amount in full and on time every month.

While this is all well and good if your circumstances remain the same, you never know what the future could bring. Things have a way of changing over the years.

There are many steps you need to take if you want to request a child support modification. Here are some of the things you should do:

  • Act now. Since you need to pay your full child support until you receive a modification, you need to act fast in requesting a change.
  • Learn more about the child support laws in your state. This is the only way to understand the process, including whether you truly have a change in circumstances.
  • Speak with the other parent. You may not have to go to court to receive a child support modification. By speaking with the other parent, you may find that he or she is willing to agree to a modification until your circumstances improve.
  • Don't stop making payments. You need to stay current with your payments to the best of your ability. Even if you are unable to pay in full, try to pay as much as you can each month for the time being.
  • Document your situation. For example, if you lost your job, you should keep track of all documents related to this. You can use this to your advantage when requesting a child support modification.
  • Make a formal filing. It's one thing to think about a child support modification, but another thing entirely to take the right steps toward making this happen. Find the appropriate court and then file the paperwork.

These are the types of steps you can take if you need to request a child support modification.

There is no guarantee the other parent or the court will agree with your request, but if you know you are unable to afford your current payment it's something you need to do.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Contact Our Law Firm Today

You deserve to have a skilled legal advocate on your side who will protect your best interests. We will do just that. To schedule a consultation, please call our office in Charlotte at 704-323-7833, or contact us online.

Plumides, Romano, Johnson & Cacheris, PC
301 South McDowell Street, Suite 130
Charlotte, NC 28204

Phone: 704-323-7833
Fax: 704-358-0536
Charlotte Law Office Map

Schedule A Consultation With An Experienced Attorney Today

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy